The tire can be identify by the type of structure
- Radial tire
- Bias tire
There can be both tube-type and tubeless tire for these 2 types of tire. But most people still misunderstanding that the tubeless bias tire is the radial tire. The truth is radial tire and bias tire are different by the structure which was designed for strengthen the tire. Radial tire was made from the steel wire put along the length of the tire but bias tire was made from the cable ply and put in diagonally.
The easy noticeable for identifying which tire you are using, bias tire or radial tire is radial tire will show the size as 10.00R20 (R = Radial) on the sidewalls
but the bias tire will show the size as 10.00-20 (- = cable ply) on the sidewalls.
Even the bias tire with the same size might have the different number of layers, depends on the type of work such as the bias tire size 10.00-20 16PR for common truck will comprise with 16 layers of cable ply, which is the standard amount. But there is the bias tire size 10.00-20 18PR which comprise with 2 more layers than the common tire and the 18PR bias tire usually has deep groove or off-road treads, it is a special design for working in mines and taking more heavy load up than the common tire. The deep groove and off-road treads use for overcome any obstacles and protect the tire from the sharp objects.
The figure compares the structure of each type of rubber canvas.
The tubeless tire is the tire without tube and using only the tire. This kind of tire is thick and strong. The tire edge is thicker than the tube-type tire for tightening the tire with the steel wheel. When the sharp objects pierced through, the hole isn’t going to be a big hole because the tire texture’s going to hold the air but if the objects stuck with the tire, it would take days before the tire is flat.
The tubeless tire was designed to remove the weak spots of the tube-type tire in the past. If the tube-type tire was pierced by nails or any sharp objects, the tire will be flat in a few seconds or it will be burst and cause the accident.
Good things of tubeless bias tire
- It reduces the expenditure.
- When the tire was pierced by the sharp objects, it will not be flat immediately to prevent the accident caused by the damaged tire.
- The chance for the burst is lower than the tube-type tire because the tubeless tire has little heat accumulation. But the tube-type tire will produce much accumulative heat while driving.
- Reduce the tire’s weight and easy to do the maintenance.
Bad things of tubeless bias tire
- More expensive than the tube-type tire
- If the tire was damaged, it could not be fixed by the normal process. You have to take the tire out and mend it with heat and by this process, if you doing it without care, it will leave some debris that could damage the tire from the inside when using it again.
Good things of tube-type tire
- It is cheaper than the tubeless tire.
- The fixing cost is low.
- Be able to take up heavy load like 10 wheeler truck or tractor.
- Reflexive and suitable for rough terrain.
Bad things of tube-type tire
- When the tire was pierced through to the tube by sharp objects, the tire will flat in a few seconds.
- Must inflate the tire routinely. If there were too little air, the tire will strongly rub against the tube and tearing it when driving.
- When driving on the road, the tire and the tube will rub against each other and producing too much heat. If the tire burst while driving, the accident could happen.
- The assembling of the tubeless bias tire must be carefully doing it. If the tire’s edge was damaged, the air would leak out.
- Make sure that the status of steel wheel and the air valve is ready to use. To prevent the leak.
- Because of the slowly air-leaking for tubeless tire, it will take days before the driver noticing it. Must always check the air, if you found that the tire is getting flat in a short time after inflating it, you have to check the breach on your tire immediately.
Apart from the truck, there are many vehicle that use the tubeless tire such as the excavator, grader, large tractor, club car, ATV, off-road car, etc. .